Monday, December 28, 2009

Good Old Days

Today I worked on a house that didn't have central heating or cooling. It got me thinking about how things used to be and what they could be in the (near)future. The house is about 80 years old and a basic single story, old, 4 room house with a room in every corner.

My job was to supply the Heating and Air guys with electricity so we could upgrade the house to what is "standard" (hot and cold air)for Americans these days. The house was built around the idea that the fire place would support heat throughout the house, which was somewhat efficient. Today's homes really aren't built properly to support this same idea. Yes you may have a fireplace, but it often can't support the square footage of your house, especially if you have high ceilings. This is why many people will supplement space heaters (which often trips the breaker, I know this because I get many a call to fix this problem), typically in bedrooms and basements.

If TSHTF many people are going to learn to have to confine themselves to the room with the fireplace (in the winter time of course)and in the summer they'll have to tough it out or head to the basement. A stove (wood,coal,etc), for the most part, can remedy this problem in no time. If you plan to build a house in the future (as is a dream of mine), keep in mine a stove, or a fireplace in a central area. It may be also helpful to install one that would allow you to cook there as well.

While it amazes me that it was once common not to have central heating and air, I can have comfort that we can survive (if need be)once again if things get ugly. However, I reckon there will be many who will have to "adjust".

9 comments:

  1. You're right on target with that analysis. I have a wood burning stove in the basement, another in the kitchen, and a tennessee fieldstone hearth and fireplace in the living room. Wood is one thing I'm not short of up here, that's a comfort. Electric heat is the least reliable for us because the electricity is unreliable. We have kerosene heaters if we need them, but the house and apartment are heated by propane in wall heaters that don't rely on electric controls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this sounds stupid, but I never thought about a animal's watering source freezing over until I read your blog earlier. I guess its an examples of things that make perfect sense after you hear someone talk about it, or experience. We don't have dogs now (the wife is a bit afraid of them since childhood), but I do remeber my dog's water dish freezing over when I was younger, just forgotten it over time.

    Someday I'd love to have a fieldtone hearth w/fireplace. That's definately the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one of the major pain in the rear facets of really cold weather. The chickens, dogs, and cats drink about 2 gallons of water a day, from lots of little bowls and buckets. It doesn't take them long to freeze over when it's below freezing temp.

    The fieldstone hearth and fireplace is good because it heats up and radiates a lot of heat into the building, as opposed to an insert which looks nice and sends all the heat up the chimney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was looking for an apartment, a fireplace was one of my requirements. I could use it for,as you mentioned, heating - as well as cooking too.

    Many folks don't consider the fireplace for that purpose anymore, but that it is just something for decoration or ambiance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, hope you had a good New Years down there. It is colder than a Witches T** up here today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been decent, just a little windy. I bought a kerosene heater and 10 gallons of fuel yesterday, after reading your blog. I think it will help supplement any issues that may rise this winter. I noticed it may snow on Thursday so get ready.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FSB, one thing I always put near the kerosene heaters is a battery powered CO2 detector. In all the years I have been using that kind of heater, I have never, ever had a problem. But I used to spend a lot of time in Korea, and every winter somebody croaked from burning charcoal to stay warm in the ville, so it has been on my mind. In addition, I had my electric hot water heater replaced with a gas burner one winter, and the first really cold night, the flow reversed on the exhaust stack. The cold air came pouring in and the emmissions from the hot water heater were forced into the house. My wife was in the shower and every CO2 detector in the basement went off. It happened really fast. So I am scared of that stuff and take precautions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I not afraid to admit my healthy fear of co2 as well. That story is a great example on how scary co2 is, especially since it doesn't smell so there's no warning. I haven't heard of anything like what happened with your water heater. A lot of people don't have their smoke/co2 detectors linked so when one goes off they all go off. As a electrician, I often fixed this during a job (if possible). Having them linked gives you a greater chance surviving a co2 problem, or fire.

    I'll also think ahead of where I put the kerosene heater. Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How you making out down there? This cold is not a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete