Monday, December 14, 2009

Tim Tebow- Love Him Or Hate Him?

I've only recently became a fan of college football (I've always enjoyed the NFL). I moved around a lot growing up, so there was never really a push for a college team (whether football, baseball, etc.). I also tend to work on Saturday so I never had opportunities to watch college football. I still don't have a favorite team per se, but enjoy many teams based upon how I feel about their coach or players. Because of this, I may be a fan of a team one year, and not the next (coach leaves, or players) graduate).

I understand that most people didn't grow up the same way I have, and as a result, may view some coaches/players with a peculiar disdain. Perhaps you hate a particular coach because he left you high and dry for another team. Or perhaps a player "rejected" your school for an opposing team. Many despise coaches/players because they always seemed to defeat their team at every turn.

Why do so many people loathe Tim Tebow? I tend to follow Georgia or Georgia Tech, because I live in Georgia; however, the last few years I've found myself straying a bit. I'll admit that I've been somewhat of a Florida fan mainly because I enjoy the character and skill Tebow brings to the table. I appreciate someone standing by their religion and walking the talk. It has become popular to see a player or coach give a shout out to God during an after game interview, but Tebow appears to take it a step further with his actions.

I'd like to state my case for why I'd like to see him succeed. 1) The above mentioned strive to honor God in all he does. 2)His passion to excel in the arena of football. I never get the feeling that he's only in it for the sole opportunity to make money. 3) His ability to lead his teammates. 4) The rare chance to have a high profile person, in my generation, who seems to champion the cause for good (the guy uses his week off for spring break to help people in the Philippines).

So why all the hate for Tebow? Well, I believe there are two camps. The first camp consist of those who don't like him because he plays for the other team, and its a unwritten rule to do so. I actually understand this camp since, it tends to be a result of their upbringing rather than some actual hatred for the guy. Additionally, many people tend to forget this rule when the player advances to the NFL. I'm sure there's many people in Pittsburgh who hated Hines Ward (from Georgia) in college, but love the fact he plays for the Steelers now.

The second camp consist of those who feel the opposite of the four reasons in what I like about Tebow. They hate the fact he wears his religion on his sleeve. Every game (since the middle of last year), Tebow writes a Bible verse on his eye black. Eye black is the grease or sticker that is applied underneath the players eye to help with any glare from lights. Tebow uses this small window of opportunity to witness to others. I, for one, appreciate this form of witnessing than those that stand outside the stadium preaching. That form of witnessing tends to push people away IMHO. During the title game last year, Tebow wore John 3:16 on his eye black. Here's an interesting fact, his Bible verse(s) is always at the top of the searches at both google and yahoo after every game.

Most people despise Tebow because he appears too perfect. I sincerely believe that people actually get a kick out of people failing. When people fail, it tends to make the rest of society feel "normal" and good about themselves. For most of the people in the second camp, Tebow is a mirror of what they wish they could be, and they feel awful about it.

Finally, you may hate the guy, but I promise you would rather have him help your spouse on the side of the road than who you think is your favorite player. However, I wouldn't want to be the man for anything in the world. The pressure he is about to endure is unbelievable. He's about to graduate and enter the real world, and the gloves will be taken off. Everyone is watching, waiting for him to slip up. Tim Tebow is like the bold, idealistic, young hero setting out on a quest like in any book you've read. Hopefully, he'll succeed where others have failed.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know squat about football. Never watched a game all the way through, even in high school. Guess I'm not keyed to team sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone from the PNW we don't care that much about College Football. Some folks care a bit and go to games and have jerseys and stuff but nothing serious. Moved to the South and pretty quickly I had to choose a side. Chose Auburn for no real solid reason. People down there are nuts about college football. I asked everyone why it was. A thoughtful fellow said it was because they didn't have pro teams for a long time.

    Tim Teebow just seems too perfect. Either he is going to be another Ryan Leif or he is going to get caught with a dead hooker in the trunk or something.

    ReplyDelete