Monday, August 3, 2009

Religious Based Laws

This story has been gnawing at my mind since I first read it. Most of my friends would say I'm "religious" and follow the Bible mostly to a T. And most would say I'm a good example of a red blooded American as well, who believes whole-heartedly in the wisdom of the founding fathers. This story is a perfect example in why the forefathers wanted religion to be woven into our laws, but with wisdom sprinkled in as well.

99.9% of our laws our founded in Biblical teachings, and I would argue we are better for it. The founders believed that our liberty was given by God therefore could only be taken away by God (not man). This also applies to the laws found in the Bible. Men should take heed when adding and taking away from God's Law. They should be certain the intent of the principal that was broken, and the proper punishment for the crime. In other words, is this really a crime against God, and if so, what is the punishment. The laws were written so that the people would know how to honor God, not man, to do HIS will, not mans'.

The law this woman broke, Article 152, seeks to curtail provocative clothing by way of threat of punishment. I understand that for men, it is much easier to function in the work place, church, sporting events, if women would dress appropriately, but does this warrant 40 lashes? Men may say this is a great law, but with any law it could back fire. What if a particular man fit a "little too well" in a pair of jeans, couldn't he be dressing risque as well?

While I wish for a more religious government, these laws tend to push religion out of government for good. Notice that this women is very defiant in her beliefs, and that her husband is dead. Never underestimate someone with nothing to lose. Her fight, and others like it, will/may cause the populous to think all religious based laws are wrong. So, instead of beating back one or two abuses, they'll scrap the whole lot.

I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I do have a maxim I try to abide by: In this particular situation, am I trying to honor God, or man. Or in other words, is this liberty he has granted me, being used to further his will or mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment